The Degree in Philology Catalan and Occitan Studies aims to offer students specific training in these disciplines with practical applications, so that they are able to pursue careers in strategic sectors. More specifically, this course has been designed to enable students to attain the following goals:
To provide students with writing skills in Catalan and Occitan both at a passive and active level, so that they are able to express themselves to a high degree of competence using the terminology inherent to the disciplines of language and literature.
To train students to teach Catalan and Occitan language and literature at different levels, in the context of a society in which both languages are officially used as a mother tongue or a second language.
To give students the grounding that will enable them to take a postgraduate course in related disciplines, as well as to conduct future research projects on Catalan and Occitan language and literature.
LINGUISTIC PLANNING AND MEDIATION
o train students to prepare linguistic planning processes based on their understanding of the past and present socio-linguistic dimensions of Catalan and Occitan, as well as their relationship with politics and law.
o train students to put the theory of language consultancy into practice, based on their knowledge of the official linguistic norms that govern the use of Catalan and Occitan.
MANAGEMENT OF LINGUISTIC AND LITERARY HERITAGE
To train students to analyse and assess the literary heritage of Catalan and Occitan, based on their knowledge of the history, theory and critical foundations of these languages, both in the past and the present.
PUBLISHING SECTOR AND THE MEDIA
To train students to perform tasks related to the publishing sector and the media, such as style correction, editing, writing, translation, and linguistic and literary consultancy.
- Capacity for analysis and synthesis.
- Capacity for thinking critically.
- Capacity for learning and for exploring human heritage.
- Capacity for teamwork and personal relationships.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to cultural diversity.
- Ability to organise and plan research projects.
- Ability to communicate in Catalan and Spanish both orally and in writing, in addition to having a command of other foreign languages.
- Ability to use the terminology and the techniques specific to a particular professional environment.
Personal language competences
- Command of Catalan and Occitan from different grammatical perspectives: phonetic, phonological, lexical, morphological, semantic, syntactic, discursive, pragmatic and socio-linguistic.
- Ability to analyse and reflect on the structure and functions of Catalan and Occitan and to understand and identify different registers and dialects.
- Knowledge of the language theories and the ability to critically discriminate between them in the scientific study of language.
Personal literary competences
- Knowledge of the main texts, authors and literary movements in the Catalan and Occitan languages, as well as their historical evolution in a literary and socio-linguistic context.
- Knowledge of literary theory, its trends, evolution, methodology and categories, including genres and other literary forms.
Instrumental language and literary competences
- Knowledge and command of rhetorical, stylistic and other resources related to the process of literary creation and the objective optimisation of oral and written communication in Catalan and Occitan.
- Ability to analyse, evaluate and correct the grammar and style of oral and written texts in both Catalan and Occitan.
- Critical, practical and theoretical knowledge of, and the ability to participate in the design of interpersonal commmunication processes addressed to the general public for informative, persuasive, didactic and commercial purposes.